|Difficulties||7 lessons||Reading Bible||Image of Jesus|
What does this mean?
Being a disciple means follow the Lord Jesus, living as Jesus did. So too must believers serve and follow the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ. We can to do so in four steps:
- Working with the Holy Spirit
- Calculating the costs
- Showing a new devotion
- Recognizing the certainty of forgiveness.
1. My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit
| : Soul|
Clothing: neat and well cared
|Basement||: Body||Sexlife, old life|
Having the Holy Spirit work in your life: in mind, soul and body. And without working against or resisting in any way, but by giving the Holy Spirit complete freedom in all areas of your life to shape you for the task.
Jack and Margot have bought a house. They have great plans for the decorations. Before the marriage, they know that the old inhabitant is still living there, but soon might die. But on their wedding day, they are informed that the old person is still alive. The plans remain. After 3-5 years the person is still living in their house. The plans start to fade away.
So it is too with the working of the Holy Spirit. We accept Jesus Christ, Who bought us with His blood. And our body becomes a temple (house) of the Holy Spirit. But then comes the question: Do we continue in the old way (the old life), or do we work with the new owner, the Holy Spirit?
2. Calculation of the costs
3. A (new) devotion
John the Baptist: As proclaimer of the gospel of God.
Elijah: As miracle worker using prayers for healing the sick.
|The Lord Jesus Christ had the true devotion:||Fully surrender to the Will of God|
Curing the sick (and the sick of heart: the sinner)
Completely willingly until the death on the Cross of Golgotha
|The believer:||Surrender of himself/herself completely to the Holy Spirit|
Surrender of the mastery of your own will to God
Surrender of your responsibilities to the Lord Jesus Christ and let Him take care of you, let Him guide you at all tasks, that He orders you.
4. Certainty of forgiveness
Certainty of the forgiveness of sins: Matthew 11:28-30; Phil. 3:14 and 1 John 1:9. Although we stumble and sin repeatedly, we have in the Lord Jesus Christ the certainty of forgiveness of sins, if we confess them to him.
What does Luke 14:25-35 mean?
Luke 14:25-35: The Lord Jesus does not attract, but repulse.
Becoming a disciple of Jesus means that you must trust the Lord Jesus Christ 100%, and give the Holy Spirit the complete freedom to shape you. Why does the Lord demand 100%?
- He gave Himself 100% and died on the Cross of Golgotha.
- If you do not give 100%, it is hindering your spiritual life. You will experience a continuous brake on your tasks, since the Lord every time says "NO" to your own work.
Being a disciple has all to do with completely surrendering for the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Hate: is to put yourself at the second place, and to put the Lord Jesus Christ at the first position.
Renouncing your sinful life for Jesus, means the certainty of being accepted by the Lord Jesus Christ.
Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).
Why does the Lord Jesus Christ give you (temporarily) a cross to bear (weakness, illness, burden, handicap, suffering)?
To understand better those, who already have a load in their lives!
There are many people, who do not wish to bear that cross. Bearing a cross has been associated with dying. Those who are not prepared to die (by themselves), cannot expect to become disciples of Jesus (Hebrew 4:12-13 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of heart. And before Him no creature is hidden, but all are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him on Whom we must place our trust).
The life of the soul has to do with your feelings. Feelings may tell you that you are not able. The sword of God pierces soul and spirit. We are must not depend upon our feelings, but must follow Gods instructions!
Medically you are not able to divide joints and marrow, unless a person dies. A disciple must discard their egoism. Becoming a disciple is a process of growing during your life. You cannot lose your complete egoism that would be asking too much. If you surrender yourself to the labour of the Holy Spirit, you shall lose your egoism progressively, and the Holy Spirit will show you which sections of your ego you need to lose. AND do not do this upon your own strength, but through the fruit and power of the Spirits labour.
If you take up your cross (yoke), and you are prepared to bear the cross (which the Lord puts upon you at that moment), soon you will not feel the yoke, since a huge blessing is coming upon you. Sometimes the yoke can be enormously heavy, so that you may think that you will collapse. Then ask the Holy Spirit to give you the words to pray in all honesty and holiness to God and to tell the Lord God and the Lord Jesus Christ that you are not longer capable of bearing the yoke (and tell why). Often the Lord let will remain the yoke with you, because He is standing besides you, and you must continue, otherwise you are not useful to the Lord, and is He not able to shape you. In some cases, however, He will listen to you, and (temporally) remove the yoke.
YES, being a disciple means (sometimes) bearing a cross.
The Lord Jesus says: "Follow Me". Not walking in front, but walking behindthe Lord Jesus Christ, and also not walking beside.
Sometimes the believer wishes to progress, to hurry. But God has a time schedule for your life. Sometimes a believer wishes too much, and they are not yet ready for the task or yoke, which God is going to put him or her. Patience is a good practice. Sometimes first God must make some preparations (at another believer, disbeliever, authorities), so you must wait for Gods time!
Going behind Him is much easier!!! When you are walking in front, over and over again you need to ask in which direction you are suppose to walk, and you must stand still until the Lord Jesus is again besides you. Resulting in impatience, doubts, insecurity and questions!
Following: You can only follow, when you walk behind someone.
IS: receiving it all from God, that then are cleaned and purified by God. God gives you all necessities for His work and your capabilities for His service.
You never receive when you are walking in front, you only receive when you walk behind Him! Who follows the Lord Jesus Christ comes at the place where the Lord wants you. Those who walk in front of Jesus, do not arrive at the place the Lord wishes (since you already turned too early to the right or to the left).
What does this mean?
Gods Plan for His disciples is perfect
It is very important to understand Gods instructions, that He wishes you to follow His Plan for your life.
The Lord Jesus give very detailed instructions of how he wants the work to be performed. God determines for you, where He wishes you to work. So, you canNOT choose your own working area. God only gives you the power in the area where He wishes you to work for Him, never outside that area. Certainty of your destination you will receive when you are obedient.
God gives you a destination. You will become stressed as soon as you try to go beyond that area, and on top of that your labour is not blessed and without any fruits. No one outside your area will become a Christian!
God prepares us for the task which we as his disciples must fulfill. He tells us, that we must not take any artificial stimuli but, in order to do great things ( but must through the power of the Holy Spirit). See Acts 3:1-10, no silver and gold . . . . but healing.
Thank the Lord for the limitations for your gifts. When you are not capable of working with children, then some one else can do that job and you can devote yourself to what the Lord asks you to do. We (believers) are all members of the Body of Christ (1 Cor. 12: 12-30), every believer (Christian) has their tasks and order within the Body of Christ.
In 2 Cor. 12:9 the Lord says: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. The Lord does not give power, in order that He can work fully in you. So never be concerned about your own weak equipment for the task to do. God takes care of all things, spiritual equipment (through the power of the Holy Spirit, Who dwells inside you), financial means and nourishment.
Gods work follows the rules of the Lord. Gods method is not equal for everybody. He not only assigns your task and locality, but also your working method. Every disciple receives a different method for working. Therefore do not envy the abilities of your brother or sister (their gifts). Be not critical, but just ask the blessings upon their and your labours.
From Gods Word, the Bible, learn the methods by which Jesus taught His disciples, when instructing them and learn what is most suitable for with you. Pray for wisdom and ask the Lord to reveal His Will and your talents.
A board or church council ought to support the called person. The board or council may never work against the called one or tell how they must do their labour. God equips and uses every individual in His way and ordains that the parish, board and council are only there to help and guide, build up and support in prayer behind the called one. All must pray for their own labour and fulfillment of the Holy Spirit.
In your labour, the Lord points out to you the dangers. So do not be afraid of dangers, for God informs you of them (providing it is His wish). The Lord will NOT protect you when you are doing as he wills or when you do not work in His strength.
Sometimes you may receive a heavy burden to pray for yourself or fellow brethren or sisters and disbelievers. Do NOT shun this, take your time (hours) to pray. The Lord has a purpose of that burden (and hours in praying). The Lord wish to be worshiped, and during prayer He can reveal you things and tasks, make things clear to you and that you support your brethren and sisters against the attacks of Satan. Take your time to listen to Him, so that He can show your the way to follow.
Sheep: image of weakness, that cannot do anything on its own.
Innocence: be careful, be obedient, be alert.
God does NOT say that we stay out of the hands of disbelievers, imprisonment and torture are possible. However, disbelievers can only kill the earthly body, not the soul of the believer. For the believer receives at the Coming of the Lord an imperishable body. Then the believer will be in Heaven for eternity. The disbeliever can only touch the earthly things, but cannot destroy heavenly matters.
Do not be concerned about witnessing for Christ (providing your have prepared yourself in prayer).
The Heavenly Father takes care of us. Even in the most distressing situations.
These verses may not sound very diligent in our ears, but escaping is not possible. Let us rejoice therefore about the blessing behind it. For the Lord has already passed through it and He remained faithful until death. Therefore He can go besides us and understand us (Hebrew 4:14-16).
The reward of our perseverance and persistence.
The mission of God consists of:
- God is glorified
- The Parish of the Lord Jesus Christ is built up (the believers grow in knowledge of Gods Word, and surrender completely to the Holy Spirit).
- The Kingdom of God is expanded and souls are saved.
God is glorified by:
- John 15:9-10 Obedience worked through Love (Love, see 1 Cor. 13)
- John 15:16, 19 Remaining in the Lord Jesus Christ
- John 17:11 Unity between the Lord and you, you and your fellow-men
- John 3:7 Remaining righteous
- 1 John 4:17 Confidence
- Hebrew 12 Seeing in God, the certainty of fulfillment of prayers.
Unfortunately there are many lukewarm and sleeping Christians, and this saddens the Lord. For the Lord Jesus Christ gave His Life for the Christians and God does not wish that any one perishes, but that all receive eternal life in Jesus Christ. But for this He needs many believers, Christians, who proclaim the Gospel and provide the necessary money for that labour. When Christians fail, many perish, this is the responsibility of Christians.
What are the reasons that Christians are lukewarm and sleeping?
- One does not read daily the Bible (see Reading the Bible). The Christian does not pray before they start reading the Bible and do not ask for filling with the Holy Spirit in order to understand and learn from Gods Word, resulting in one not understanding the Bible, it is hidden. Resulting that Biblical knowledge is failing to be spread and proclaiming the gospel and Biblical teaching are inefficient.
- No daily prayer. Romans 8:27; Hebrew 13:15-16; Isaiah 59:16 and 1 Samuel 12:23.
- One is not willing to serve the Lord (Hebrew 12:15-16, Romans 15:26-27).
- One is focused upon their disappointments, own sorrow, misfortune, that one has stopped reading the Bible, praying and proclaiming Phil. 3:14.
- Praise and thanksgiving have vanished Ephesians 5:20, Phil 4:4 and 2 Thessalonians 2:13.
- One fails to confess their sins 1 John 1:9. If one persists in this, the result is one quenches the Spirit, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19.
- One neglects to meet together with fellow-believers, Hebrew 10:25.
- There is lack of love for the fellow-man and towards the Lord.
For all these eight matters you are solely responsible yourself. The much commonly heard excuse is: "Yes, but I do not have enough time." Is this really an acceptable excuse for the Lord? How would you like it, when the Lord tells you "Now I do not have time for you." Is the Lord only good enough when you are in great despair, and then suddenly the Lord must be there for you?
Be honest, that is not the way it works?
How much time and money did the Lord invest in you in order to save you, and to ensure that you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?
The Lord allows us all to use materials and revenues of His possessions: the earth.
Man is only a steward. Man is allowed to harvest corn and wheat. But without rain, no harvest, but drought and hunger.
So, as a believer you are a steward over your time and body. You are in His service. The Lord Jesus Christ has bought you, freed you from the power of Satan with His precious blood and His death. He has given you eternal life and given you a heavenly commonwealth (Phil. 3:20).
You freely accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour and took this action. But this action has consequences too.
In His Word, the Bible, the Lord Jesus has given many commands to his believers (that you may fulfill in His strength and Grace). Your service upon earth is very short, 1- 60 years? That is in no relation to the rich and eternal life, which awaits you in Heaven. If you had not come to faith in Jesus, then eternal death awaited you in the lake of fire.
What is Gods main command? We read this in John 13:34
The Lord Jesus loved us so much, that He gave His Life for us. So we too must love one another. Loving means to surrender and give all for the other person, also in deeds! The Lord wishes, that you love Him with your complete heart, soul and strength! He wishes that you serves Him.
Why will you not serve Him out of gratitude? For you have received the spirit of sonship (Romans 8:15). What a grace and privilege God has given to you.
So are there any more reasons to do these seven commands?
Yes, read Luke 14:14-24. Many had no time or another excuse. Then the lord became angry. He ignored the invited and gave their seats to others. Why would you waste your reward? You are still able to earn many rewards in Heaven:
- If we persists and stay loyal, we shall reign with the Lord Jesus Christ as kings in His 1000-years Kingdom 2 Timothy 2:12.
- If we suffer with Him (1 Peter 3:13-18 patiently suffer), we receive eternal glory 2 Timothy 2:9-10.
- If we retain boldness and hope until the end, we shall enter the house of Christ (differently from the house of God) Hebrew 3:6, Phil. 3:1014.
- If we commit ourselves completely to bear witness of the gospel, we shall receive imperishable wreath 1 Corinthians 9:19-27.
- If we kept our faith until the end, we shall receive the crown of righteousness 2 Timothy 4:7-8.
- If we endure temptations well, we shall receive the crown of life James 1:12, Revelation2:10.
- If we have given all honour and thanksgiving to the Lord, we shall receive a crown Revelation 4:9-10.
Let us never forget that our short suffering (10-60 years?) here on earth is in no way a comparison to the eternal (billions of years) of glory, peace, rest and enjoyment in Heaven.
God must have the first place in your life, before your wife / husband, before your children, before your hobby / work. See Revelation 2:4-5 and Luke 14:26.
Let us give honour and time which we own Him to the Lord.
Whatever your task, work heartily, as serving the Lord and not men, knowing that you will receive the inheritance as your reward from the Lord; you are serving the Lord Christ (Colossians 3:23).
What does this mean?
Nehemie, his spiritual life and assignment.
Nehemie become affected when he learnt about the despair in Jerusalem. Nehemie lived in the citadel Susa. Here was prosperity and protection. Still his heart was occupied with the problems of his brethren who remained imprisoned in Jerusalem. His movement guided him into prayers and consequently into action.
The different forms of prayers:
- The serious praying.
Nehemie begin to pray in the month Chislev (December) and still prayed in the month Nisan (March). So he prayed at least four month. That became the base for his labour.
Our prayers are never rewarded, if we are not committed to the case for which we are praying.Nehemie prayed seriously. He went up so very much in praying, that he even wept and mourned. He was so busy in praying, that he forgot to eat (fasting).
- Nehemie pleaded especially for the grace of God. He was not indignant at the needs of the brethren.
- The consistent prayer.
By now I am praying day and night to Thee. The prayer is not only during the quiet hours. The case for one which is moved, one carries it continuously upon his heart. This matters one is continuously discussing with God, even during work and also when one is resting. Hebrew 4:16 "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in our time of need".
- A humble and confessing prayer.
Nehemie himself was correct person, upon whom none found fault. For he was the kings cupbearer. Still he confessed the sins of his nation. He united himself with them and interceded: Heavily we have misbehaved against You.
- The Scriptural prayer.
Nehemie begin to plead upon what God Himself had said. One must accept and plead upon Gods promises. In fact, you must remind God of His promises. But of course you must meet with Gods conditions.
Appeal starts with yourself. Pray for the cleansing in your life, confess your sins. Nehemie confessed, though there was no fault with him. He pleaded: It is Your case. We are Your servants. We are Your people. It is Your power, and so on.
- Nehemie had never be mournful before in the presence of the king. Our witness may shine the happiness of the Lord. This king was godless and the enemy of Israel. Nehemie prayed to God when he was with the king. He shot hastily a prayer up to God. He prayed for his people, but he went too to the king to request for his assistance. Especially Nehemie's prayer led into practical service.
Many persons do wish to pray for other people, but they fail to change to practical action.
Praying also means that we offer practical assistance to those for whom we are praying. That can be by assisting ourselves where needed, or by requesting another person who is able to do so to provide assistance, or by giving of financial aid.Be correct in the labour of God. One must keep promises. Be careful to retain the trust of people, especially disbelievers (here a committed appointment with a godless king).
The boldness of Nehemie grew. He continued: "If it pleases the king ...."
One was not be pig-headed, but humble and submissive.
Nehemie received from the godless king all necessary equipment:
- Letters for the governors
- Wood for the gates, wall of the city and his house
- Officers of the army and horsemen for protection.
- Nehemie prayed day and night
- Nehemie had compassion for his case
- Nehemie willingly offered himself for the case.
Why is daily prayer NECESSARY?
- We all have reasons to thank God daily, for He has given His Son to die for our sins and we can every second of the day have unity with God the Father. We can be grateful for the suffering, dying and resurrection of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
We may give thanks for our rich and abundant food and drinks that we receive from Him daily and that we are not born in a country of poverty, hunger and cold.
We may give thanks for our health (and we are not a disabled person of sufferer of chronic pain).
We may give thanks for the hearing of our prayers. For the fact, that the Lord is in everything working for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). For in fact God has raised His Son at His right side, where now He is our High Priest (Hebrew 4:15) and prays and pleads for believers (Romans 8:34).
We may give thanks that the Holy Spirit lives in each believer, He gives us love, power and wisdom. For the Holy Spirit Who cleanses us of sins, so that we by confessing our sins are able to continue in unity with God and bear the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22).
- Daily intercession is necessary for workers in the service of the Lord Jesus Christ. Why?
- The Bible commands it: Hebrew 13:7 Remember your leaders.
- They have the full battle against the power of darkness and Satan.
- Continuously they must forfeit their ego, sometimes means a struggle of self denial, in order to live in the image of the Lord Jesus Christ and be example for others.
Often one conquers souls through witness in attitude, so that disbelievers are seeing the change in out lives and witnessing the image of the Lord Jesus Christ in us.
- They must give much love to persons who hate and ridicule them.
- They battle against false teachings, yoga, T.M., spiritualism, horoscopes, abortion, homosexuality, and so on. These are attacks against the power of darkness and Satan. Not only disbelievers dislike this, even brethren and sisters in Christ attack the Christian leaders upon these issues, because they say: "For God is Love", but one forgets what God tells in His Word, the Bible, and that God is Holy and does not condone any sin!
- They point brethren and sisters towards their sins. The leaders must do that with much love and if possible with meekness, but RELENTLESSLY. However they are human too, and sometimes they are felt to be hard and cold. So intercession is very much needed that the Holy Spirit convinces, and gives much love and insight to the parish man.
Many more reasons are to noted. Here are provided some reasons for the necessity of intercession for Gods workers.
- The intercession is needed also for weak brethren and sisters, in order that they may put aside and conquer certain sins (Drunkenness, addiction to smoking and drugs, vanity, coldness and hardness, returning to old earthly living, and so on).
Who was Nehemie?
Nehemie was cupbearer of the king, we are able to read in the last verse. That is a honour, considering a Jews in exile, being a cupbearer of the (enemy) king. And what a trust. Someone in that position can easily poison the king, someone who in principal should be hateful and hostile towards the king for he was carried away from his own country and exiled to a strange country. Nehemie's knowledge may have been vast, for there were very many cupbearers in the country and kingdom of the king, but Nehemie was rewarded with the favour to be the kings cupbearer. In this we clearly see that Nehemie took his time for research and to do a precise study of the things that obtained his interest. Showing from Nehemie 2, where he was able to explain in detail his desires to the king.
Nehemie was informed about the needs of Jerusalem in the month Chislew (November and December) and in the month Nisan (March and April) he went to the king with his desires. So for at least three months he prepared himself. First he invested the need in Jerusalem, making an inventory what was needed, calculating any possible resistance and attack of the enemy (in Israel) and how to present his case to the king. First he calculated the costs (as well as for himself), before presenting the case for the king.
Do we, believers, go that well prepared to our King, the Lord Jesus Christ?
Or something comes to mind, and without thinking and calculation, planning of handling we present it to the Lord and request without any consideration?
If something (vast) comes into our path, first we must take a break, calculate the costs, estimate the enemy and make a plan (of attack). After we have (very) well prepared it (using prayer), then we can present it to the Lord and request His permission and His consent. Then when we are able to answer the questions which the Lord asks us, we are ready. Otherwise we will receive an irrevocable NO, you we not achieve anything or get an answer at all, no blessing and our work will fail. When you are well prepared, then the Lord will guide you along, and you must follow His guidance, and you can expect His blessings upon your (spiritual) labour, as well as Gods protection against the evil powers and Satan, and protection against persons who wish to harm you, and you will see fruit upon your labour.
What does this mean?
Nehemie request to the king
Nehemie was thinking of his people in Jerusalem and that made him very sad. Sadness was not allowed in the presence of the king. Therefore that got the attention of the king and he asks: "Why is your face sad, seeing you are not sick?" Rightly Nehemie becomes frightened, because he is sad in the presence of the king, which was forbidden. Nehemie prays quickly to God. And now it shows how well prepared Nehemie had his case (at least 3 months of preparation, starting in the month Chislew (Nehemie 1:1 November/December until the month Nisan (Nehemie 2:1 March / April)), for he is able to answer the king's questions. Pay attention to Nehemie's modesty: "If it pleases the king". Nehemie continues with his plan and his arguments: "send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers' sepulchers, that I may rebuild it."
Nehemie had prepared his case well, for he could answer the kings questions: "How long will you be gone, and when will you return?" And Nehemie set the king a time. That certainly was not a short period. Nehemie 2 starts in the twentieth year of king Artaxerxes, Nehemie returns in the thirty-second year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon (Nehemie 13:6). So he request a period of absence of 12 years! AND Nehemie got it!
Nehemie must have will prepared it, for 12 years is a long time of absence.
And Nehemie continued with "If it pleases the king". He counted upon enemies, and therefore he requested letters of protection from the king and the kings permission to build walls around the city Jerusalem, yes even money (may give me timber) of the king. Then his enemies we not be able to attack him and accuse him at the king of Babel. Nehemie had prepared everything well and he was very frank, honest and clear in his plans towards the king of Babel. He did not hide anything.
How do we approach, believers towards our King, the Lord Jesus Christ? Do we approach respectfully, well prepared, devoutly frankly and honestly? Is the case not self interest, but completely focused upon Gods Kingdom? Do we estimate well our enemies, requesting protection of God for us against Satan's, powers of darkness and human enemies?
Do we receive the good hand of God over us and our labour, like the king gave all to Nehemie and the good hand of God was over Nehemie?
The appeal of Nehemie upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem
- It was a powerful appeal, because it was based upon prayer and personal calling. Nehemie was a man of God, but he remained human.
Note the fact, that upon arrival in Jerusalem, he needed 3 days of rest (Nehemie 2:11 compare with John 4:6).
His appeal was born out of personal conviction (Nehemie 2:12-16, see also Galatians 1:16).
Nehemie had to lay down all loads. He left his beast behind and continued with a in-depth research, a true wrestling through the ruins. Nehemie disliked superficial research, even it took troubles and great pains, he continued his investigation. First he wished to do a detailed research in order to be able to calculate in the minute detail and to exclude any possible surprises. Do you go that well prepared in proclaiming the gospel and doing the work of God?
Pay also attention to Nehemie's way of working. Again first he goes (with only a few men, verse 12) to investigate, but does NOT inform any of his fellow-citizens, the priests, the nobles, the officials and the rest that were to do the work (verse 16). Just after investigation and thorough research, when he is certain of his case, Nehemie informs in verse 16 and 17, the Jews, priests, officials and rest.
Personal research is very important and must be undertaken thoroughly. The Lord does NOT answer to a superficial research.
First calculate the costs, make a plan before presenting it to your leaders and fellow-believers.
- It was a powerful appeal, because he had united himself with the debt of the people:
- You see the adversity in which we are.
- Come let us.
- So that we no longer are a disgrace.
In time of despair and defection, we easily blame others. Nehemie did not criticize anybody.
Is not Nehemie identical to Chris's figure?
- It was a powerful appeal, because Nehemie witnessed of the Gods hand, that had been good upon him.
Sometimes one is discouraged when one is trying to involve persons in the labour of God and they refuse. In that case, do research:
- Did you prepare yourself enough in prayer?
- Did you do a thorough research beforehand?
- Are you yourself committed to the case?
- Is it really a task given by God?
The reaction of the enemies of Gods work upon Nehemie's work:
In verse 1 they are two, in verse 19 adds the Arab Gesem and it continues to grow.
- We know, that Gods grace is great. Here it is displayed. The people of Jericho, the city cursed by God, wishes ALSO to build, God in His grace wishes to use them (Joshua 6:26, 1 Kings 16:34).
- The sins of the Gibeonites (Joshua 9 and 10), were forgiven and they ALSO were allowed to build on the wall of Jerusalem.
Why such a sharp reason of Nehemie against the persons in verse 10 and 19?
- Sanballat, the Horonite, was an inhabitant of Horoim, the land of Moab (Nehemie 13:1-3; Numbers 22:1-6).
- Tobiah was an Ammonite (Neh. 13:1-3).
Nehemie followed the Scriptures closely, Everyone who follows the Bible closely, may expect Gods blessing upon their labours, BUT also resistance. When there is no resistance, you may wonder what is the reason. For Satan does not like that Gods work is growing!
Direct your eyes upon the Lord Jesus Christ. In Nehemie we read, how he directed his eyes continuously upon God, but also that the enemies grew in numbers.
- Geshem, the Arab (verse 19), was an Edomite or Ismaelite. Both Esau and Ismael are in the Bible types of the natural man. The natural person may and can not build at Gods Kingdom. Never employ persons within Gods labour, who are not re-born. THAT GOES WRONG!!! Make use of the spiritual gifts, and never of natural gifts!
But we also see that the godless king, Nehemie rewards time off to fulfill Gods assignment and task, yes even the godless king provides materials. Therefore a believer can accept money and materials from a disbeliever, if God puts it in their hearts to assist His work (remember the Salvation Army, many disbelievers give their old clothing and put money in the Christmas' boxes). But the labour itself, the (church) service, the proclaiming of the gospel, must exclusively be performed by reborn Christians in the Lord Jesus Christ!!!
What does this mean?
First in Nehemie 3 a description is given of the 10 different gates:
|1.The Sheep Gate||\|
|2. The Fish Gate|||||They were burnt and had to be|
|3. The Old Gate||>||repaired. For the repairs,|
|4. The Valley Gate|||||see Nehemie 3.|
|5. The Dung Gate||||
|6. The Fountain Gate||/|
|7. The Water Gate||\|
|8. The Horse Gate|||||It seems that these ones|
|9. The East Gate||>||did not any repair.|
|10. The Muster Gate||/|
11. Neh. 8:17 The Gate of Ephraim Revelation 21:12 Speaks of 12 gates
12. Neh. 12:39 The Gate of the Guard
The high priest Eliashib built at the gate, but attached no bars, in the end he even let in the enemy (Nehemie 13:4-5, 28).
We must seal off our work and our lives, so that the enemy (ego, works of the flesh, Satan) cannot sneak in.
At start, the high priest gave a good example, for he was prepared to work with his hands.
The best environment is there where you are best motivated, to protect and to guard. In verse 10 we see that Harumaph was busy opposite his own house. See also the verses 23, 28 and 29, they too were working opposite their own home.
- The labour became divided and everyone completed his task, that was given to him. So too the believer must build in harmony. No differences between churches (Roman-Catholic, Reformed, Baptist, and so on).
- Everyone works together and closely to one another. In that way, they were working effectively and there was no need to push aside another person.
- Everyone did what he could. God uses the gift(s) of every believer. God wishes that the believers work at the place, where God places them, there where He places at that moment. NOT at the place, where we possibly will be in the future. NO, we must serve at the place where the Lord sets us at present.
Also women are labouring too. Gods labour is not only reserved for men, women too have received their own tasks! Often women take care of the most difficult tasks. With them is the motherly love!
So we see that all were willing, except with the nobles. Even the rulers were willing to do the lowest of work, namely at the lowest gate: The Dung Gate. The Dung Gate was the gate through which the dung was carried.
The gold smith with fine hands was willing to build the wall, rough labour.
- The working area starts in your own family, your own environment.
God tests sometimes the willingness of the believer!!!
What does this mean?
The tactics of Satan: 7 attacks
- The mockery, the accusations and contempt
One mocks you when you proclaim the Gospel. Also the Lord is mocked. The enemy holds you powerless. One pulls down all and reminds you to the small numbers of Christians and your poor results. Nehemie's reaction is praying. God will do it for us, we do not need to progress in our own power, but in the Lords power. Nehemie prays and continues working. He continues despite all mockery. He honours the power of God. Good works are an answer to mockery. Nehemie gives the correct example.
Your influence as a (church/gospel) leader and example can be colossal
- The open attack on the builders
The enemies increases in numbers. We see that the attacks become more open and increase in force.
The answer is: a. Praying
b. Placing a guard
1 Peter 5:8 a. Watch and pray
b. Be alert
- The builders become discouraged
Juda is one of the fellow-labours. Do not labouring discouraging other people! That works paralyzing.
Stimulate the other persons!
- Attempt to surprise unexpectedly
Nehemie is knowingly. God shows him the evil practices. Where does it shows?
- God shows it through His Word, the Bible.
- God gives knowledge and insight to resist Satan.
- Nehemie armed people. See Ephesians 6:10-20.
The sword is an image of the Word, the Bible. Be working in such a way within the society, that during you labour you keep occupied with Gods Word.
Also there are persons, who are only keeping guard. And persons, who only work with two hands. For example: One group remains behind in constant prayer, while the other group is proclaiming the gospel in the red light areas or among drug addicts.
What does this mean?
Attack 5: The intern Difficulties
Satan does an attack upon the unity in cooperation. He tries to sow quarrel and discord.
The unity in a team is often assailed. When the unity is broken, the environment does notice it. Look at all the evil speaking among believers, and Roman-Catholics and Reformed are against each other (Think of Northern-Ireland: Ulster).
The unity in a team is a first condition, Phil. 1:27-28 "Be subservience to each other".
The answer to Satan's attack is: Consider everything well AND a great personal sacrifice. Do not be in league with the enemy.
Nehemie goes working. Thoroughly again.
First he listens to the complaints of the people. He investigates them and then, after he had everything well considered (verse 7) and well prepared his words, Nehemie goes to the nobles and officials to accuse them and confront them with the facts. But it does not stay with that. He calls for a GREAT meeting to put things in order.
Nehemie's testimony is powerful. Therefore he can react very sharp. Nehemie exhorts the people. He set himself as an example. The people confess their guilt. Pig-headiness breaks the unity. Be an example to each other.
Nehemie takes care that one cannot find any fault with him. During the 12 years that Nehemie stayed in Judah, he took care of himself. He put no burden for his living upon the people, over who he was governor appointed by the king. So as appointed governor by the king of Babel he had full rights for a food allowance. NO, Nehemie, feared God (verse 9-14).
Verse 18 Nehemie paid himself everything, and that was not little: per day, 1 ox, 6 choice sheep, fowls likewise were prepared, and ten days skins of wine in abundance. He did not give little, we read "Choice", so best of the best. And it also did not involved a few number of feeding by Nehemie, in verse 17 we read "at my table were 150 men, Jews and officials, besides those who came to us from the nations which were about us".
If the believer is capable to provide in his or her living, then he or she must not live from the money of his brethren or sisters in the Lord. We must protect ourselves form slander of the enemy and be good stewards towards the Lord.
What does this mean?
- The attack of the compromise
The plain of Ono is well-known as a resort. The plain of Ono lies in a coastal plain. It does not belong to the province Asdod or Samaria, but it was in its midst. The enemy chose a neutral ground for the conversation with Nehemie.
But Nehemie saw through this attack, this seduction: "Let us meet" meaning taking the leader away and the work would come to a halt. His answer is: "Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?" I have a great labour to do. The work cannot be left to rest.
At evangelical labour, put over and over again the question: Is it a huge labour, does it really mean something for the Lord Jesus Christ?
- It is questionable, when an evil rumour is spread about you, and even more when the evil rumour is confirmed.Nehemie was a person with authority. So it was not surprising that the enemy spread an evil rumour. Nehemie served them however with the answer: "For you are inventing them out of your own mind".
The servant of the Lord must know himself for he is totally accountable to God. Be careful not to enter into false rumours. Take them to God and pray for His advice on how to act. Investigate Gods Word and arm yourself with His Word. Take a lesson from Nehemie's answer.
- All are trying to frighten us.
The attack of Satan is to make us fearful!
With Nehemie even that strong to kill him. But Nehemie's answer determined. At this attack there was even talk of prophecy, if it would come from God Himself. They even invited Nehemie to come into the temple, the house of God (But the entrance into the temple was ONLY for priests, and Nehemie was not a priest).
Nowadays there is much false prophecy. We can only distinguish when we are living very closely to the Lord and in His Light, and are able to see the source of the prophecy.
It is important:
- To stay very closely to the Lord Jesus Christ.
- To remain walking in the Light of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- To pray for the distinguish the spirits (unmasking of yoga, T.M., acupuncture, sects, that are under the influence of the powers of darkness and Satan).
Pay attention to the tactics of Satan:
"Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us close the doors of the temple"
What is wrong, would you say, to enter the house of God, the temple? EVERYTHING! Nehemie was a ordinary Jew, he did NOT belong to the priesthood. ONLY priests were allowed to enter the temple. Every Jew who did not belong to the priesthood, sinned when entering the temple and Gods wrath (deadly) would fall upon him. Here the enemy tries in a cunning manner, presenting it in a beautiful way, let us go to the house of God, resulting that Nehemie meets with Gods wrath and will be killed. Nehemie is very well aware of it, and he answers in verse 11: "And what man such as I could go into the temple and live?"
Learn from it. Be aware of the craftiness of your enemies and of Satan. Sometimes it is presented in a religious way (remember yoga (with bibles in the waiting rooms), spiritualism, meditation, worshipping of Maria, sometimes even promoted by the church), while through the eyes of God it is an abomination and it has nothing to do with God, yes it is the opposite. And God turns away from the believer. Therefore investigate the background and motives!!!
What does this mean?
- Most believers like to live in the world, at the border. They like to hop over to the things in and from the world. Outwardly they are devoted. On each Sunday, they go to church, and continue during the weekdays to live an earthly life and no one notices any difference compared to the disbelievers. Internally they love the world 1 John 2:15-17.
The enemy recognizes that the work is of God. The enemy gets very depressed. How was it possible that the work was completed in 52 days? Reason: they had put together their hands and worked together in unity. IT WAS THE WORK OF GOD!!!
Within the rebuilt walls, there were even among the nobles who felt sorry for Tobiah. The attitude of Nehemie to Tobiah, the enemy of Gods people and work (Nehemie2:19) was forgotten.
What does this mean?
Nehemie installed the gates and progressively isolated the world. The Christian believer cannot compromise, 2 Cor. 6:14 "Do not be mismated with disbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?", but must chastise himself. Nehemie 6:18 do not put on an uneven yoke. It is forbidden to work with a disbeliever in proclaiming the gospel or to marry a disbeliever!
- The doors are installed and there is an entrance to Jerusalem, but not for everybody
The door speaks of entry and unity John 10:1-3, 9.
An evangelical message is never complete if there is no invitation to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour from your sins. Let the Holy Spirit guide you with the invitation.
Revelation 21:27 and 22:15 The door also speaks of the fact that certain persons are NOT allowed to enter. That is true for those persons who retain their sins and do not let them go. The door (for the Christian believer: the unity with God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ) stays closed when the believers do not confess their sins.
- Isaiah 62:6-7 There are gatekeepers, because the danger continous.The gatekeepers continuously pray to God during day and night, in order that God would rebuild Jerusalem to the glory and honour of God Himself. Verse 7 And let Him no rest.
The gatekeepers become appointed, every person in front of his own home. There one is best motivated to protect and fight for his own household and family. The believer is best motivated to pray for the disbelievers in their own household and family, neighbours and environment and to proclaim the gospel in order that they are not swallowed by Satan and finish up in the lake of fire. The believer must fight against Satan and the power of darkness in order that his disbelieving household and family and neighbours escape from Satan and the power of darkness and do not land into the lake of fire, but come to recognize the forgiveness of sins through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ thereby inheriting eternal life in Heaven.
We must pray continuously, until God hears our prayers and He is praised and glorified and accepted by the disbeliever.
Ezekiel 3:16-21 and 33:1-11 God has appointed the Christian believers to be watch keepers and obliged them to proclaim the good news of salvation, through the blood of Jesus Christ for men who live in sin.
If you do not tell an disbeliever the Gospel, then you will beheld responsible for their loss eternally and you will harm yourself 1 Corinthians 3:11-17.
- Singers are appointed
A song is important in the Christian life, because often it is a means of reaching a disbeliever who becomes saved!
In the New Testament Christians are asked to sing spiritual songs Ephesians 5:19.
Col. 3:16 That is happening when the Word of God lives abundantly in you. 1 Cor. 14:15 The songs must be sung with heart and soul. Therefore it is good to learn new songs. Sometimes a meaning of a song is pleasant, because this make people think about its contents. Hebrew 2:12 A song is important.
- Levites are appointed
The temple service must continue. The honouring services must be kept regularly. Although some have a special gift (Ephesians 4:11), all Christian believers in the New Testament are called into priesthood: 1 Cor. 14:40; Hebrew 10:25 and 13:17 and 1 Peter 2:5, 9.
- Hanani and Hananiah are appointed as governors of Jerusalem
The work is and stays too big for one person. Hanani, a brother in the flesh, but also a person who seems to have a heart for the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
- Governor of the castle.
- A reliable man.
- God fearing above many.
Those are the characteristically qualities that cannot fail with the servants of God. Reliability is an essential requirement when serving the Lord.
- The city was wide and large, but her inhabitants were few however
Nehemie had build the city in faith.
Why did not wish the people to live in Jerusalem?
- Because it required a painstaking walk.
- Because of the neighbourly hate of the enemies.
- Living in the country gave many material advantages.
The city was wide and large, but the inhabitants were few, and there were built no houses. Hereby we may glimpse forward to the Lord Jesus Christ, Who says in John 14:2-3: "In My Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also".
When we compare the city with Heaven, then the city, Heaven, is wide and large, but also in the time of the Lord Jesus Christ the numbers of inhabitants were few (few numbers of Christians), and there were no houses built in the city, in Heaven. For the Lord Jesus Christ went up to Heaven to build places in Heaven for the Christians.
- Verses 69 to 71 tells us about the enormous contribution that the people devoted to the labour. So Christian believers must abundantly contribute to the work of God. And everyone accordingly to their capacities.
What does this mean?
Only those who can testify that they belong to the priestly generation have entrance to the temple and can eat of the most holy. So too for Christian believers, ONLY if they have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour from their sins, ONLY they get access to Heaven and are written into the Book of Life (Revelation 3:5; 21:27). Only the persons themselves who accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour knows that their names are written in the Book of Life.
When one tells to have done confession or to belong to a church and not openly confessed the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord. And as the One, Who died for their sin, then we may put question marks and be in doubt if their names are written in the Book of Life. That will be revealed when the book (the Urim and Thummim) of Life is opened and the priest (The High Priest, the Lord Jesus Christ) will pronounce.
What does this mean?
Lessons about spiritual challenges:
- The complete nation came as one man together at the Water Gate. The wall was rebuilt, the doors installed and the keepers were appointed, but the nation wished for more.
Are we content with only creature and material things, or do we wish for spiritual blessings?
- One requested Ezra to bring the book of the law.
Real challenge is not based in the first place upon Ezra or Nehemie or a parishman, but upon the Word of God, the Bible.
The complete nation listened carefully to the book of the law. The interest in Gods words was very great.
At that time the Aram language, the medium language, contained many difficult words. Therefore the Levites mixed with the people in order to explain the difficult words.
One needs servants who travel through the country to tell the Gospel in simple words, in lieu of proclamation from the pulpit. Ezra was assisted by the Levites, who mixed with the people. They fulfilled an important task.
Real challenge comes not from feelings or emotion, but follows upon the understanding of Gods Word. Through the Holy Spirit explaining the words of God.
- People response:
- The people responded to the reading of the law. Compare this with Kings 18:21.
- Note the attitude of the nation. Facing the ground. See also 2 Chronicles 7:14: There it was accompanied by an egotistic attitude they had no wish to bow, there it received no blessing.
Renewal is there, where people in the spirit of submission wish to be sinners in the eyes of God, and wish to confess sins!
- The nation wept. Do not be afraid of emotions and feelings. God spoke to their hearts, but also to their feelings.
Weeping after conversion is permitted, as long as it does not continue. For the joy is in the Lord, Who is the shelter.
- Pay attention to the results of this spiritual renewal:
- Sending of a part to those for who nothing had been prepared.
Real renewal is not self-centered, but one shares all together. Sharing is a joy in the Lord, so sharing the Gospel brings joy!
One of the Christian things is when he or she sows and propagates, this does not empty the Christian, but it makes their hearts richer and more joyful!
- It brought great joy: do not be sorrowful, there is a time of weeping and a time to enter into the feast of God and to be joyful.
- It brought new obedience after reading the law.
The feast of the seventh month (Feast of booths) was neglected over 1000 years. All that time it was written in the book of law, but nobody had discovered it. Even in the days of David and Salomon it had not been celebrated. The discovery of these neglected teachings and commissions went along with a real renewal.
Honest obedience to Gods Word and commissions goes along with great joy.
Nobody shall be able to call upon their ignorance in front of the Heavenly Father, for they were and are able to read Gods Word, the Bible, insight of the Holy Spirit when they prays for that.
One can attend Bible studies, read Biblical commentaries in order to gain more insight into the Bible and to have a better understanding. One can request fellow-Christians for help.
My people, says God, are destroyed for lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6).Satan dislikes nothing more than Biblical advice, teaching and obedience to the Bible.
- Sending of a part to those for who nothing had been prepared.
Bible reading, Praying and Devotion
After the nation had celebrated the Word of God for seven days, a festive meeting took place.
There is much too little festive joy in the Parish of the Lord Jesus Christ. Renewal is also when the Gods Word starts to work inside the Church of Christ, so that parish members are corrected and become obedient.
What does this mean?
Nehemie 9 tells us that the nation entered into a true worship and new devotion to God. A quarter of the day they read Gods Word. An other quarter of the day they spent confessing their sins.
Nehemie 9 contains the longest prayer of the whole Bible.
It is interesting to compare Nehemie 9 with Ezra 9 and Daniel 9.
- Before the prayer-meeting started, the sins were confessed and resolved. The separation of strangers was completed.
- The Levites stood on a wooden platform and proceeded in prayer:
1. Pray for the speaker(s) at the conference.
2. Pray for the announcements, subject in the service.
- The prayer begins with true worshipping. The people kneel (their hearts submissive) for God. Everyone participating in prayer.
Stand up, praise the Lord. Unite the people in prayer
- The emphasis in prayer should show the mercy and justice of the Lord, revealed in the history of the children of Israel. Note the words: "Thou has ......"
1st round: Confession: Everyone confesses quietly his or her sins.
2nd round: Everyone prays quietly for their own burdens of prayer.
3rd round: Now prayers are spoken loudly and openly in the prayer-meeting.
God guided His nation out of Egypt and guided them in the desert during daytimes with the cloud column and during night with a fire column to shed light. The believer in the dark world is guided by the Lord Jesus Christ, and if the believer allows it, he is guided by the indwelling Holy Sprit to the position where God wishes him or her to be in the Body of Christ. The Israelites had the free choice to have them guided by God and the column to the Promised Land Israel. So also the believer has the free choice of surrendering to the working of the Holy Spirit inside themselves or work by the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22 But the fruits of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) and to have them led to the place where the Lord wishes them to be.
But the patriarch of the Israelites started to behave badly and hardened their necks and they did not listen to the commands. And God gave them into slavery. So it is with the believer. The believer must keep Gods commands and let themselves be guided by the Holy Spirit. If the believer fails to do so, then they sadden the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30) and finally extinguish the Holy Spirit. Thus that the Holy Spirit can no longer bear the sins and the believer comes under the influences of the powers of evil and Satan and God surrender them to the earthly life with all its sufferings, pain and sorrows.
Should the believer show repentance and regret, then they may return again like the lost son to the Father and they must accept the working of the Holy Spirit again.
Forty years long, the Lord provided his nation with food and water in the desert. And so the believer, who works for God at Gods appointed position, can be assured that the Lord will provide them with their needs (Matthew 6:25-34).
What does this mean?
The reading of the Book of Laws brought a new practical devotion.
Nehemie 10 gives a description of the commandments. They put their seals (under all committed obligations) of Nehemie including all those, who had the years of distinction.
It was NOT an oral league. Their league was such firm commitment, that they committed it in writing. They obligated themselves:
- To walk in accordance of the Law of God.
- To separate themselves from the nations of the country.
- To respect and keep the Sabbath as a Holy Day.
- Every seventh year, to let the land lie fallow, see Leviticus 25.
- To sacrifice and to take care of the livelihood of the Levites and the House of God (paying the tenths).
For the church of the Lord Jesus Christ this means, that the believers commit themselves (united) to provide for the financial needs of the labourers of God including the financial materials for that work.
What does this mean?
Nehemie 11 and 12 gave a listing of honours and genealogical register of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Judah, the priests and the Levites.
|The Volunteers:||Despite the renewed blessing, which God had given to Jerusalem, only a few wished to live inside Gods city.|
If one declares they have become part of the church of the Lord Jesus Christ, that requires a painstaking and holy way of life!
The believer, who committed themselves to the service of the Lord Jesus Christ, can expect the hatred of the world and the attacks of the powers of darkness and Satan, which can mean a great battle John 15:18-20 and Hebrew 12:1-3.
The priest (every believer) has a task within the Body of Christ. One within the church. Another outside the church, for example proclaiming the gospel. Coffee bar. At present it is not easy to work as a believer within the (liberal) church. Still one as a Christian believer must stay in the position which God decrees.
1 Cor. 12:12, 14-15, 18-22: For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. .... For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body. .... But as it is, God arranged the organs in the body, each one of them, as be chosen. If all were a single organ, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, On the contrary, the parts of the body which seem to be weaker are indispensable ... Everyone must serve in the position assigned by the Lord Jesus Christ, for if that person is not at their decreed place they are hindering the environment. If the right upper arm muscle moves itself to the right upper leg, then the complete upper and lower arm is paralyzed. Then the right upper leg has two muscles, that are too strong to pull the leg and you have a conflict and paralyzing again.
If the phalanx in the left hand takes the place of the left radius, than the radius is too weak to carry the load and it is not accounted for its purpose. Everyone has received talents (gifts) from God accordingly to their ability. We must serve at the position where the Lord placed us within the Body of Christ. otherwise the Lord cannot bless our labour and the Body does not function well, and disbelievers will fail to accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour.
What does this mean?
The consecration of the walls of Jerusalem
The first part of Nehemie 12 provides a list of those who returned from Babel. God let sign up the true Jewish by their names to their memory (Ezra 2:12 and 3:2). The faithful ones are NOT forgotten by God:
- The consecration of the wall carries the character of a feast to honour God (Psalm 120). From far and near, the Levites and singers come to attend the feast.
- Make a note of the cleansing, described in verse 30. We come as sinners to accept our Saviour. However, those, who live a holy life, may also put their lives into the hand of the Lord.
Not only the priests and Levites are purifying themselves, also the COMPLETE nation and afterwards the city must be purified by going over the walls around Jerusalem.
All believers MUST PURIFY themselves, before they can approach God in prayer. First confessing their sins. But then rooms and buildings where the service of God (church building, coffee bar, evangelization room, tent) is held, must be purified, before starting the service. It can also mean your own home. No idols, like Buddhist images, Mary images, Cross images, masks, horoscopes, and so on.
After the purification follows the songs of the choirs under guidance of Ezra and Nehemie.
- One brought that day many sacrifices. In verse 43 we read up to five times about the great joy. Psalm 126:2 "Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy".
Then the gentiles (the disbelievers) must recognize: The Lord has done great things with them. The disbelievers must recognize when they see that the believer has left the old ways of life (no more smoking, no more drinking, but loving, caring, doing the fruits of the Holy Spirit), these are the work of the Lord within the believer.
Nehemie: An image of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Nehemie 1: In his prayer
- Nehemie 2: In seeking the lost ones
- Nehemie 3: In his work
- Nehemie 4: In his battle against Satan
- Nehemie 5: In his blameless way of life
- Nehemie 6: He did not compromise with the enemy (and satan)
- Nehemie 7: In his complete work
- Nehemie 8: In his offering and obedience to Gods Will
- Nehemie 9 and 10: In faith and submissiveness
- Nehemie 11 and 12: In his volunteering
- Nehemie 13: In his labour and way of acting.
What does this mean?
Tobiah, the enemy, the Ammonite is guest of honour in the temple
- Still Tobiah had not changed one bit. The enmity of his ancestors continued to live within him. See John 3:6 and Romans 8:7.
Tobiah was a blood relative of the priest Eliashib. That did not mean yet that he was a spiritual relative!
- Tobiah was accepted, since he was humorous and jovial. Natural factors play sometimes a more important roll than spiritual ones (for humans).
But what does the Lord request? God asks for spiritual ones!
- On the day of the consecration of the wall, they had read Deuteronomy 23. Later on, they had already forgotten it.
The reaction of Nehemie:
- Nehemie remembered the Lord Jesus, Who purified and swept clean the temple.
- Nehemie did NOT compromise. Nor with Tobiah, nor with Sanballat. He made a very conscientious separation from the enemy. Behind his way of acting were also the person who assisted him.
The injustice done to the Levites:
- All was taken care off in the past, it was even written down and beautiful promises were made.
But the nation fails to keep these promises. Deuteronomy 12:19 instructed the nation to support the Levites. So too the believers must support the church, missionary and evangelists. Not only in the beginning, when one has just accepted Jesus Christ, NO, one must keep the promises that they have made.
In verse 10 we see, that the nation does not fulfill their duties and promises, and do no longer support the Levites.
- Why was the House of God (the temple) left over to fate?
Levites and singers had returned to their fields. Was that a lack of faith from their side? Yes, too. It is God, Who takes care of His full-time servant and not the nation. As Gods worker one must look up to God, NOT to people. But the nation is guilty too, they had not kept their promises and commitments. The believers must give their tenths in order to make Gods service possible.
- Was it the lack of supervision that led to the loss of support for the Levites?
Yes, too. Nehemie took his measures.
The measures of Nehemie
- He conversed with the leaders. For giving guidance is a great responsibility. Church leaders and vicars have a huge responsibility and care over the parish and evangelists. They must guide the believers in their duties and commitments. And support them up.
- Nehemie brought them together and sent them out.
- Nehemie assigned people to take care of the storage rooms.
- Nehemie was very upset and threw out all the furniture of Tobiah from the court of the temple.
The believer must break radically with his sinful life and throw out all evil (Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are plain: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like) and in stead do the works (fruits) of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22 But the fruits of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control).
The Sabbath was not respected
- Gods commandments about the Sabbath were forgotten (Exodus 34:21; Deut. 5:14 and Jeremiah 17:21). Are we forgetting to rest on the Sundays?
- The people to whom they were supposed to testify, only saw their defection from God. Sanctify yourself as believer and rest on the Sundays. Is in the quiet of your home, or is there an industrious labouring with washing, carpentry and house work?
Are you like disbelievers doing your shopping on the Sunday and do you let other people work for you?
- The action of Nehemie:
- He calls it bad and refers to the punishment that follows upon this way of acting.
- >He let close the doors.
- He shows himself inflexible. The enemy persists, but Nehemie does NOT give in.
The mixed marriages with foreign women:
- Even in the house of Eliashib, the high priest.
- It was sinful, because they did not pay attention to the light which they had been given during the nations history.
- The children are the victim.
- The action of Nehemie:
- Nehemie attacked the sins vigorously NOT SOFTLY.
- Nehemie reminded Solomon (the king) as to the consequences of his disobedience.
- Nehemie shows them CLEARLY that it is DISLOYALTY to God.
Why is it necessary to give "TENTHS"?
- It is a recognition that our possessions are NOT ours, but the possession OF GOD! Malachi 3:7-10, Genesis 1:28: Over which we are set as stewards by God.
- In the Old Testament, the nation Israel was obliged to give their tenths to the priests in order to support for their living. The priests in turn had also to give their tenths of their tenths (to the high priest). When this did not happen, then the priests themselves had to work and follow the lawlessness of the nation, because the teaching stopped and none instructed in God law. As a Result God Himself turned away from them and poured His Wrath upon them and he gave them over to the powers of the gentiles and the nation was taken captive and exiled from the promised land, which was rich in food and drink.
So too nowadays. If the believers do not give their tenths (For the New Testament Christian believer: as much as possible (financial, (used) clothing, toys, sheets, transportation) see Luke 21:1-4, then:
- One denies that all ones possessions are receives from God (for to have a job it also a gift of God).
- The wages for the vicars and deacons. The result is:
- The failing of teaching
- No knowledge of sins, resulting in lawlessness
- The believers themselves do not receive any reward and will be saved as through fire, because there was no labour so no fruits.
- No support (of living) for the missionaries, evangelists and workers of God. So no expansion of the gospel. Therefore through your failure (your debt) people are lost for eternity, since you are responsible too for the salvation of disbelievers (praying alone is not sufficient) and support for Gods workers. For you are assigned as keeper, see Ezekiel 3 and 33. The result is:
- Disobedience to Gods order: Matthew 28:19 and Acts 1:8
- You extinguish the working of the Holy Spirit and your relationship with God become broken
- When you have extinguished the working of the Holy Spirit, then you are living again under the influence of the powers of darkness and Satan
- Disbelievers, who could have been saved, are lost for eternity and will burn forever in the lake of fire!